Local Community Support
Local Suicide Countermeasures Promotion Centers
Promoting equal suicide countermeasures nationwide
For suicide countermeasures, it is essential that local governments, which are in a position to directly support the lives and livelihoods of citizens, comprehensively and efficiently promote measures that meet the reality of each region. Local Suicide Countermeasure Promotion Centers (Local Centers) have been established across Japan to support local governments in eliminating regional differences in suicide countermeasures and to ensure that everyone can receive vital and comprehensive support. The Japan Suicide Countermeasures Promotion Center (JSCP) provides a variety of types of support to local governments throughout Japan to help them formulate, manage, and validate their suicide countermeasure plans.
About Local Suicide Countermeasures Promotion Centers
Purpose of Local Centers
Local Centers have been established in all 47 prefectures and 20 designated cities throughout Japan based on the Guidelines for the Implementation of the Project for the Operation of Local Suicide Countermeasures Promotion Centers(notified to prefectural governors and mayors of designated cities by the Director-General of the Social Welfare and Human Services Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare on May 10, 2016, No. 0510-4).
The Local Centers serve as an area manager within their respective jurisdictions, providing support for the formulation, management, and verification of countermeasure plans for each local government.
In addition, since suicide is caused by a complex interplay of various factors including health problems, economic and lifestyle problems, relationships, and changes to community and workplace, Local Centers act as coordinators in tandem with other fields to comprehensively promote relevant measures as a form of community development. (July 2017 Cabinet decision, General Principles of Suicide Prevention Policy).
Local Centers carry out the following activities in order to promote the development of the systems needed to support the comprehensive and efficient promotion of suicide countermeasures. This is in accordance with local realities in each municipality under its jurisdiction, providing appropriate advice and information to them. JSCP provides total support for the following five projects.
- Understanding the local situation regarding suicide, and collecting, analyzing, and providing information for projects in accordance with the countermeasure plans of each municipality
- Providing assistance on matters related to the formulation and progress management of suicide countermeasure plans
- Liaising and coordinating locally, and strengthening local countermeasure networks
- Providing consultation support and technical advice for projects held by private organizations
- Human resource development, including support for those who have suicidal thoughts, have attempted suicide, and those supporting suicide survivors
Support provided by JSCP to Local Centers
In order for all Local Centers to effectively and equitably fulfill the above roles, JSCP provides a wide range of support, from practical concerns through to research and study as listed below.
- Holding regional conferences (Block Meetings) and joint meetings for Local Centers
- Providing new research findings and facilitating their use
Including: Current state of suicide / Countermeasure implementation updates / Countermeasures in each region / Support for attempted suicides and survivors
- Collecting, organizing, and providing information on progressive initiatives and related information
- Providing advice from the Concierge for Local Government Supporters
- Providing lecturers and staff for training sessions
- Conducting suicide countermeasure training programs
- Developing and providing various programs and educational materials related to suicide countermeasures
Related New Topics
- April 29, 2022
- Local Suicide Countermeasures Promotion Centers
- April 28, 2022
- 2nd Study Session on Suicide Coverage “Dissemination of information online and responses to it” - Report
- April 27, 2022
- Profiles of Suicides in Local Communities